Another household favorite, this pasta is both creamy, spicy, and delicious!
1 box penne or bowtie pasta
1 lb chicken thighs or breasts, cut into cubes
3-4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
8oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil water and cook pasta according to the package. Cover and set aside.
- Start by seasoning chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a pan or skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add in the chicken chunks, 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Cook the chicken until cooked through, then remove to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Leave any juices in the pan.
- Using the same pan, still over medium heat, add mushrooms into the pan. Wait a few minutes, then throw in the red peppers, onions, and garlic. Cook until softened and the onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth and half and half into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and if it still seems really thin, dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in water and add the mixture to the sauce. Keep stirring until thickened, then bring back down to a simmer.
- Add cooked chicken back into the pan with the sauce. Add another 1-2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning (I recommend starting with one teaspoon, then tasting it) and dried parsley to the sauce. Your sauce should be a light orange shade. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese if desired, then serve sauce over cooked pasta.