This steak has a great citrus-based marinade that makes for some tasty quesadillas! Makes about 4 quesadillas.
- For the marinade:
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
3 tablespoon oil
- For the quesadillas:
1 package (8) large, burrito-size tortillas
1 red pepper, sliced
1 orange pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 lime, cut into 4ths
Shredded monterey jack or pepperjack cheese (I usually get 2 8oz bags)
1lb flank steak, cut into matchstick strips
Sour cream or salsa for serving
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Combine flank steak and marinade ingredients into a sealed Ziploc bag or bowl. Refrigerate overnight. Return the bag to room temperature before going to the next step.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Empty your Ziploc (with the marinade) into the pan. Cook the steak to your desired doneness, it should only take a few minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pan onto a plate. Leave any remaining liquid in the pan.
- Using the same pan, add the chopped onions and peppers. Saute until the peppers and onions are soft. Remove the pan from heat and let cool slightly.
- Time to assemble your quesadillas. Start with a tortilla and add a layer of shredded cheese. Add steak and onion/pepper mix. Top with cilantro, lime juice, and more cheese as desired.
- Bake the quesadillas in an oven preheated to 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into 6 pieces and serve with salsa or sour cream.